Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Books we're reading

I'm still not overwhelmed with baby advise, so bring it on!

Some of the best advice we've received has come in the form of books people have recommended we read.

Here are a few such books:



I've read Babywise twice and Hubs is getting ready to start it. Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child was given to us by Amy. She calls it her baby "bible!"

My goal is not to go into this with an expectation of how the baby will act, sleep, etc. Despite my Type A personality, I'm realistic in knowing that every baby is different and if I have certain expectations, I'm certain to be frustrated and disappointed.

Rather, my goal is to learn what I can about how babies function. I hope that understanding this will help guide us to better provide for Bubs. Whether that be restful sleep, a satisfying meal (of boobie milk, hopefully), or physical activity, I want to know how babies work so I can adjust to help Bubs.

Speaking of boobie milk, I have every intention of nursing. For every good reason you can imagine, I want to do this for Bubs. Right now, though, the thought of breast milk makes me gag. Badly.

When BFF and I were walking through Babies'R'Us a few weekends ago and we got to the breast pumps, she was explaining the different contraptions to me and I started gagging. I don't think it's gross at all. I think it's wonderful. For some reason, though, my brain is stronly connected to my stomach and thinking about it makes me want to puke. Blah.

Needless to say, I hope that feeling passes!!

Speaking of milk in general, I had my first glass of milk in weeks with breakfast on Easter. I didn't gag all day and it tasted SO GOOD! I pushed it, though, and enjoyed a bowl of cereal yesterday morning along with a tall glass of milk. Sure 'nough, within about an hour, my gagging was in full swing. Yuck.

Apparently my counsin Sarah (who, besides my friend Karl, is the only person I know that drinks more milk than me) also experienced this problem during pregnancy. And, it IS a problem. Just b/c it makes me gag doesn't keep me from craving it. I Love milk. Prior to pregnancy, I drank 1-2 gallons/week. I miss it :(

I'm hoping that the gagging subsides in the last trimster (like it did for Sarah) so I can start enjoying it again.

If not, thats OK too. I'm drinking all kinds of water and sugar free/calorie free Crystal Light lemonade (very watered down- just enough to give it flavor).

Staying hydrated is not a problem for me. I drink. All. the time.

Don't forget- the u/s is on Thursday! Oh man, I can't wait to see Bubs again. So cute.

Until then, XOXO...

7 comments:

  1. Since I can't be there for this ultrasound, PLEASE post pictures on your blog ASAP!

    Thanks, Grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo! I made your blog. I feel so special :) I hope you can enjoy milk again soon!

    I might have to get the Happiest baby book... Matthew tends to get pretty unhappy at night time, especially when Doug is watching him while I run errands, so if we could find some soothing things that don't involve boobs that would be very helpful for him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. David drinks more milk than I can believe possible, but he ruins it all with Nesquik. We go through several gallons a week, or we do when he's here at least.

    ReplyDelete
  4. May I suggest Dr. Sears' book about Attachment Parenting?

    We do not claim to do attachment parenting, but we do parts of it, like the babywearing. What he says just makes sense to me, and I'm really glad I read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey sweetie!

    I don't want to upset or confuse you or step on anyone's toes, but I thought you'd like to see this information. I am sure that someone recommended "Baby Wise" to you, so I don't want to upset anyone, but that program isn't the best program in my opinion.

    It's all about working to get your little one on a feeding and sleeping schedule, which really won't work for a breastfed baby. Babies need to eat on demand, especially the first 4-6 months. Scheduling a time for them to eat, and not feeding them in between that time, is dangerous and quite frankly really sad! If they are hungry, they need to eat. Especially because they go through growth spurts quite often... at those times, especially, they need to nurse on demand. Not only are they growing, but they are increasing your milk supply to meet their needs (supply and demand). They know when they are hungry, and they will let you know.

    That's not to say that you will never get on a schedule. I nursed both of my babies on demand, and they worked themselves into a schedule over time (which they created). Don't listen to any book that will tell you that they will "sleep through the night at 6-8 weeks." Especially for a breastfed baby... I hate to tell you this... but it ain't gonna happen. LOL That's just part of having a baby.

    Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child is about learning to read their sleep cues and understanding their biological sleep rhythms in order to establish healthy habits. Totally different from Baby Wise. They will eventually sleep through the night, but most babies (especially BF ones) need at least one night feeding until they are about 9 months old.

    Also, read this: http://www.drmomma.org/2009/12/babywise-linked-to-babies-dehydration.html

    I don't necessarily think the entire concept is crap... there is some truth to the whole eat, play, sleep routine. But my babies let me know when they needed to eat and when they needed to sleep, and I met their needs accordingly.

    Also, the author of that book isn't even an expert. He's a Christian evangelical minister, which isn't a bad thing obviously, but his credentials don't exactly speak "expert on child rearing" to me.

    However, that being said, you are Bubs' mama and you are the one who will ultimately figure out what works best for your baby and your family. To each their own! You are going to be an excellent mama, no matter what. And that is definitely a fact!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy- thanks for taking the time to post about your thoughts! Like I said, I'm not worn out on advice, so I really don't mind hearing about others experiences!

    ReplyDelete